Saturday 2 April 2011

Song of The Day #2 - Calexico - Guns of Brixton

All guns blazing.

Guess what? Well, I'm already wishing I hadn't entered this competition to write on here every day. Quelle surprise. Wanna know why? Here's why. I was planning to write this post at home but then at the last minute plans changed and I'm now at a friends for some drinks. Imagine that for a second if you could. So, I get around here and start drinking with a couple of bros. I then recall having to make this post and say "can I borrow your laptop to post on my blog please?" This isn't what bros were expecting me to say but nevertheless they give me the laptop. So they're drinking and im blogging. Essentially, I'm the guy at the hardcore orgy who gets a Rubik's cube out and starts trying to furiously solve.

Calexico - 'Guns of Brixton'

Goodbye to Brixton sun.

Today's song, it doesn't take a genius to know, is a cover. It's an incredibly famous song by The Clash and that's why I love this version so much. Calexico have completely reimagined this tune and coated it in dust and wire like only the can. The lead vocal is astounding and is delivered in a way that sounds so defiant it's very difficult not to be stirred by it. Songs like this really will not back down. When the verse below is delivered and your left with that question, you know that there really isn't any choice.

When they kick out your front doors
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun?

No comments:

Post a Comment