Saturday 23 April 2011

Song of The Day #23 - Okkervil River - 'Lost Coastlines'

The world's best band, pictured a while ago.

It's taken over three weeks for me to feature an Okkervil River song. Not completely intentional even if I was sort of holding them back for a day when I'm really struggling with motivation for a blog post. Guess what? That day is today. It's been really hot and that just makes everyone lazy. I take this to extremes. If it's hot enough then my frame won't actually do anything but lay horizontal. If anyone needs a body double for a funeral rehearsal or something like that then I'm your man. Cool?

This isn't even my favourite Okkervil River song just so you know. Admittedly, it's probably top five shit but still, there's other reasons why I've included it here. Firstly, it has an official video. Secondly, I think (bar 'For Real') it's their most instant and accessible song. Thirdly, I just want to introduce this wonderful band to as many people as possible. If, out of the six people that read this blog, someone starts listening to Okkervil and buying their records, that's definitely fine with me.

Okkervil River - 'Lost Coastlines'


Every night finds us rocking and rolling on waves wild and wide.

The song though. It's a fantastic one that showcases why I think so highly of this band. The lyrics, as ever, are top notch. Which other writer could get the line "...in the ensuing melee escape" into an upbeat and melodic sea song like this huh? 'Lost Coastlines' also features some horns and my god do I love horns in tunes! When employed well (I DO NOT MEAN SKA MUSIC) I don't really think there's anything like it actually. Here they add some fantastic punch to the 'la la la's that see this song through to its completion. If you don't end up singing along by your third listen, then shame on you, your family and everyone's life you've ever touched. Give it a listen and don't you dare come back to me saying "Ay yo. That guy with the deep voice who does the second verse has a better voice than the main dude from the band" because although that's maybe possibly sort ofish a little bit true, no one wants to hear that sorta slander around here. Ya dig?

NEW ALBUM 'I AM VERY FAR' OUT 09/05. BUY IT HERE.

well we have lost our way
nobody's gonna say it outright
Just go la la la la la la la la la....

No comments:

Post a Comment