Monday 8 March 2010

This is Shit.

As reported here by the BBC and around many other places over the last couple of days, Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse took his own life over the weekend.

:*(

When people pass like this, it's always just too sad. Linkous had a lot of problems throughout his life and we can only hope he is at more peace now than he ever was here. As for us he leaves behind, well, we've got some beautiful music that'll warm your bones and for that we are thankful. Sparklehorse were responsible for some truly stunning songs that I've listened to over and over again for many years now. Can songs sometimes feel like friends? I think so.

R.I.P Mark - It's a sad and beautiful world.

4 comments:

  1. Sad, sad news isn't it?

    Shoebox (http://altangst.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just awful, yeah. Sorry - hadn't noticed this comment before! Getting comments is something that never happens to this blog. Might have *something* to do with the content you say?! HOW dare you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so incredibly sad when I heard this. It also highlighted to me how exceptionally rare it is that I care when someone in the public eye passes Diana, MJ, etc. Shocked but not genuinely sad.

    From a selfish point of view I think Sparklehorse stands alone in producing such fragile and haunting melodies which genuinely don't seem to lose their original impact over time. Gold Day still hits me square in the chest however many years down the line. Something which will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well put. Another selfish thought that I always just can't help thinking is the "Damn. There won't ever be a new Sparklehorse album or tour again." Sounds bad and awfully simplistic, I know.

    The death of musicians or artists you really like is an extremely surreal thing to go through. With bodies of work you've grown to know so intimately, it's sometimes extremely difficult to separate that from the actual people that have produced these masterpieces. What I think I'm trying to say is that when these people pass, they take a piece of that work with them. Thankfully in this case, we're still left with some wonderful records that people will listen to for some time and be genuinely stunned.

    That's quite a legacy.

    ReplyDelete